Teacher Resource Guide
Dance, Education and the Child:
- Creative Dance Center, Seattle, WA Classes, workshops and teacher trainings: www.creativedance.org
- Pathways Awareness Expecting a baby or grandchild? Have a little one?
Work in a daycare? Your baby will appreciate it if you read this: http://www.pathwaysawareness.org/
- Dance and the Child International USA (daci USA) promotes dance and the child, irrespective of race, color, gender, religion, national or social origin: www.daci.org
- A Statement of Physical Activity Guidelines for Children Birth to Five Years from the American Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance: www.aahperd.org/naspe
- JABADAO , Based in the UK, an organization dedicated to further research into movement and the mind: http://www.jabadao.org/devmov/dev.html
- National Dance Educators Organization (NDEO) for info about dance in education, dance educators directory and books and videos: www.ndeo.org
- National Dance Association for arts and education standards, books and dance videos: email nda@AAHPERD.org
Brain Growth and Development and the Arts as a Tool for Learning
- ACSD : Brain books, teacher resources, conferences, etc: www.acsd.org
- The Brain Connection : BrainBuzz, books, resources, articles, etc: www.brainconnection.com
- The Brain Store: www.thebrainstore.com – resources by Eric Jensen
- Childcare Info-line: brain research and information for parents and caregivers http://www.divine-design.biz/childcareinfo/brain_development.htm
- DANA: www.dana.org – brain related matters, including “Arts and the Brain” on NPR.
- Early Child: www.earlychildhood.com – info on early childhood education
- Love and Logic: www.loveandlogic.com – resources for parents and teachers on class management and care for children
- The Learning Brain: www.learningbrain.com – brain research, training tips, future of learning!
- National Association for Child Development (NACD): www.nacd.org
- Talaris: Brain development 0-3, simple monthly articles on key points of child development: www.talaris.org
- Zero to three: useful info on cognitive, emotional and social development http://www.zerotothree.org/brainwonders/parents.html
Learning Disabilities and Developmental Movement Therapy
- CDC Child Development Web Site: http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/child/ The Child Development Studies Team within the National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) encourages you to visit http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/child/ to learn about the Child Development Studies Team’s major projects and activities, public health issues in child development, child development milestones, and download Positive Parenting Tips sheets free of charge. You will also find links to more information, resources, and their partners in promoting child development.
- Centers for Disease Control’s Act Early Campaign: http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/actearly/default.htm
- Attention Deficit Disorder Association (ADDA): www.add.org
- Attention Deficit Information Network: www.addinfonetwork.com
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association: www.asha.org
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD): www.chadd.org
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC): www.cec.sped.org
- Council for Learning Disabilities (CLD): www.cldinternational.org
- Dyslexia Awareness and Resource Center (DARC): www.dyslexiacenter.org
- Developmental Movement Therapist Bette LaMont’s website: http://www.developmentalmovement.org/
- International Dyslexia Association (IDA): www.interdys.org
- Learning Disabilities Association of Canada (LDAC): www.ldac-taac.ca
- National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD): www.ncld.org
- National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities (NICHCY): www.nichcy.org
- Nonverbal Learning Disorders Association (NDLA): www.nlda.org
- Northwest Neurodevelopmental Training Center, Florence Scott, Dir., Woodburn, OR: 503-981-0635
- Schwab Learning: www.schwablearning.org
- Bowlby, J. A Secure Base. New York, NY: Basic Books, 1988.
- Brandt, R. Powerful Learning, www.ascd.org
- Brown, M., Keynes, R., Lumsden, A. The Developing Brain. Oxford, UK: Oxford Univerisity Press, 2001.
- Conkling, W. Smart-wiring your baby’s brain: What You Can Do To Stimulate Your Child During the First Three Years. New York, NY: Harper Collins, 2001.
- Doman G. What To Do About Your Brain Injured Child. Philadelphia, PA: The Better Baby Press, 1990.
- Dryden G. and Vos, J. The Learning Revolution. The Learning Web (800-637-6893), 1999.
- Jensen, E., Teaching With The Brain In Mind, ASCD, Alexandria, VA, 1998. www.ascd.org
- Jensen, E., Arts With the Brain in Mind, ASCD, Alexandria, VA, 2001.
- Jensen, E., Learning With the Brain in Mind, The Brain Store, San Diego, 2000. (Email the author at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Gilbert, A. Creative Dance for All Ages. Reston, VA: NDA/AAHPERD, 1992.
- Gilbert, A. Teaching the Three Rs Through Movement. NDEO, 1977/2002.
- Gopnik, A., Meltzoff, A., Kuhl, P. The Scientist in the Crib: What Early Learning Tells Us About the Mind. New York, NY: Harper Collins, 1999.
- Hackney, P. Making Connections, Total Body Integration Through Bartinieff Fundamentals, Gordon Breach Publishers (Available in paperback from Amazon.com)
- Hannaford, C., Smart Moves , Arlington, VA: Great Ocean Publishers, 1995.
- Healy, J. Your Child’s Growing Mind: A Parent’s Guide to Learning from Birth to Adolescence. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1987.
- Klaus, M. and P. The Amazing Newborn. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1985.
- Randolph, S. and Heiniger, M., Kids Learn from the Inside Out, Available from the authors, 541-575-2413), 1998.
- Ratey, J., The User’s Guide to the Brain.
- Root-Bernstein, R. and M. Sparks of Genius: The Thirteen Thinking Tools of the World’s Most Creative People, Houghton Mifflin, 1999.
- Sprenger, M., Learning and Memory: The Brain in Action, ACSD, Alexandria, VA, 1999.
- Stern, D. The Interpersonal World of the Infant. New York, NY: Basic Books, 1985.
- Sylwester, R. A Celebration of Neurons: An Educator’s Guide to the Human Brain, www.ascd.org
- Wolf, P., Brain Matters: Translating Research Into Classroom Practice, ASCD, 2001. (www.ascd.org)
- Teaching Creative Dance (video) Anne Green Gilbert, www.creativedance.org, 2002.
- BrainDance (video), Anne Green Gilbert, www.creativedance.org, 2003.
- Music for Creative Dance Volumes 1-4. Eric Chappelle. email@example.com
- I am the Song . Kerri Lynn Nichols. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Music for Dancers. Kerri Lynn Nichols. email@example.com
- Gradual Motion Peter Jones, PO Box 294, South Hadley, MA 01075
- John’s Music Center , Seattle, WA, www.johnsmusic.com